Thursday, November 25, 2010

I'm not homophobic.

There is a person whom I won't explain my connection to that recently made a comment that I say things about stuff when I don't have any idea what I'm talking about. I find this to be a very interesting statement. I was very offended by what she/he had said, and almost engaged her/him in an open intellectual gauntlet if someone hadn't intervened.

My problem with this person is that he/she goes to a better school than I do, so he/she assumes that he/she is better than me. They are a typical white person as described on Stuff White People Like. I admire the strong willed, and for the most part intelligent mind of this person, but when one becomes emotional and begins shouting to make a point the conversation dissolves rather quickly. I don't always have to be right, but I worded my assertion very carefully. I said, "I hypothesize that it might be possible that in some individual homosexuality is the result of an endocrine dysfunction, and with hormone treatment, one might see a change in the behavior, including perhaps heterosexuality." Now, I know I have no proof of this assertion, there are many tentative aspects to that, the most important of which is that I used the word hypothesize deliberately. This triggered a veritable speculation war. In this my accuser became the projector in that they have little more factual knowledge than I, but they spoke with such authority as to assume that I was the retard for having suggested it. I'm not saying that homosexuality is a disease that can be cured. I'm suggesting that our behavior is based on chemical driven components in our brain that are both variable and subject to modification. If we were to say, add testosterone to a male who desires men and has a high estrogen, low testosterone level, would they desire women more, or would they just want to fuck more? That is the question I want to answer. But they took my words the wrong way. It happens.

No comments: